[FLASH-USERS] Running simulations on a cluster

Seyit Hocuk seyit at astro.rug.nl
Fri Apr 4 13:03:28 EDT 2008

Dear Flash-users Community,

I have a problem which I heard before and am experience it now myself. I
hope it was solved and that people can help me with it.

I am resolution limited while running simulations on 1 cpu, however
whenever I use the computer cluster that is available to me with 20
cpu's, I notice that it's not faster at all. In fact, it's even a little
bit slower. My machine is not that great compared to the machines of the
cluster.

I suspect that dividing the tasks is not done very well. Perhaps it is
some kind of optimalization problems, because I use an intel cpu and the
cluster has amd (Opteron). Or it could be that I/O is very slow on the
cluster, but this should not be the limiting case. I am afraid though
that my setting up of the simulation might be wrong, because every node
(machine) has to connect to the master cpu at every timestep (dt).

Any help is much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Seyit

Btw: I am using mpich2 and create a ring of cpu's with mpdboot
--totalnum=.. --file=.. and start the simulation with mpiexec -n X. With
mpdtrace I do see that multiple machines are within the ring and so
directly assume that multiple machines are used. I don't know any other
way to see that the task is divided.