[FLASH-USERS] Big Problem??

Nathan Hearn nhearn at uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 4 11:20:33 EDT 2008

Hi Seyit,

    An uninitialized variable is one that is declared (specified as
integer, real, etc.), but not assigned a value.  Thus, an
uninitialized variable usually has whatever value was in its memory
location before it was declared.  (It could be a random number,
"infinity," or just garbage.)  If this variable gets used before a
value is assigned to it, strange behavior may result, which would be
very compiler- and architecture-specific).  If you are using
uninitialized pointer or allocatable variables, the effects can be
quite drastic and hard to identify.

    Generally speaking, it is a good idea to assign a value to every
variable soon after it is declared, even if it is only a temporary
value that is not actually used.  (As I recall, there is a way to
assign a null value to pointers, which is also a very useful
practice.)

- Nathan