[FLASH-USERS] problem in running FLASH2.5 for Pancake test problem

Chris Daley cdaley at flash.uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 3 16:35:43 EST 2008

Hi M.A. Latife,

It would seem that the compilation failure is happening because of a
bug in the version of the Intel compiler you are using.

I compiled the Pancake problem for FLASH 2.5 using an Intel compiler
on one of our machines. The compiler version I used was:
Intel(R) Fortran Compiler for Intel(R) EM64T-based applications,
Version 9.1 Build 20060707 Package ID: l_fc_c_9.1.036

The files compiled, but there was a warning message about the length
of the procedure names in the 2 source files that are causing you
problems.  This warning message only appeared for
ReDistributeParticles.F90 and GravPotentialAllBlocks.F90.

fortcom: Warning: GravPotentialAllBlocks.F90, line 0: Global name too
long, shortened from:
modulegravpotentialallblocks_mp_gravpotentialallblocks_$BLK.modulemapparticlestomesh_mp_mpi_bottom_
to:
ulegravpotentialallblocks_mp_gravpotentialallblocks_$BLK.modulemapparticlestomesh_mp_mpi_bottom_

It may be more than coincidental that your compilation problems are
happening for the only 2 source files in which there are long (>31
characters) procedure names.

I can offer the following suggestions:
* Report the compilation failure to Intel.
* Attempt to use a different compiler / different Intel compiler version.
* Manually edit the source code so that the concatenated module and
 procedure names are always less than 31 characters in the 2 source
 files.

Finally, you can run spherical simulations in FLASH2.5 by specifying
the following option in the flash.par file:

geometry = "spherical"

Hope this of some help,
Regards,
Chris