[FLASH-USERS] Problem viewing output results in IDL

Arthur Poland apoland at gmu.edu
Wed Jul 2 11:48:39 EDT 2008

We are using IDL to look at results from flash 2.5 and want to look at
the energy balance and importance of each term in equation 9.32 in the
flash users guide. Since the diffusive quantities are calculated
together for efficiency we cannot get each one put out in the plot file,
they are not calculated individually within flash. Note that my problem
is only in looking at the data after flash is done with the calculations.
  We are looking at the results in IDL where quantities are interpolated
onto a constant grid. In principle we can calculate the quantities
within IDL. However, within the blocks quantities seem to be just set to
the value in the center of the block rather than interpolated. We are
having particular problems with Del dot sigma grad T in equation 9.32.
Has anyone developed a better interpolation scheme for filling the
detailed grid so we can calculate and look at these terms? I think our
problem seems to be in rebin, called from merge_amr_nnint.pro, called
from loaddata. It works with each block without knowing what is next to
it, so it thinks it is extrapolating. Rebin won't extrapolate, so it
sets quantities to a constant value. This wrecks havoc with derivatives
and second derivatives, so we can't get energy balance.
Any ideas around it?
Thanks
Art Poland

--