[FLASH-USERS] Maximum number of blocks

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Thu Mar 20 11:17:07 EDT 2008

You can't.  I won't go into details but under 32bit applications can
not use more than 2gb of memory of the 4gb space provided by 32bit
addressing.

You don't want to anyway which I will try to explain from a system
point of view.  The flash people will have to help you with flash.
Also the E4500 does support EM64T so they CAN run 64 bit if you
install 64bit linux (x86_64) and thats what we run here.

Now that 2GB is per-process.  If you have a dual core system you can
run two processes each, each using 2GB.  (total system can not have
more than 4gb installed without things like PAE or going to x86_64).
But because you only have 3GB of memory in each node, you don't want
each process using more than 1.5GB of memory.  And trust me flash
will use it.  If you go over this your system will 'swap'  reducing
performance by orders of magnitude, and will wear out your hard drives.

Now MAXBLOCKS is per cpu max number of blocks it can hold at any one
time.  If your total problem need to have more blocks, you can lower
maxblocks, but increase the number of cpus you run on.  Letting the
problem have more places to put those blocks.

If you only have your one system with 3GB of ram, I am am 80% sure
you can not do what you want to do with the hardware you have.  Sorry.

Others please chime in if I am wrong, I do not like my answer.

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing
brockp at umich.edu