[FLASH-USERS] Possibility of restarting FLASH from a selected region

Seyit Hocuk seyit at astro.rug.nl
Thu Mar 12 10:14:26 EDT 2009

Dear Kevin,

I am using FLASH 2.5 still. However, 50! levels? That's insane :).
Refining is especially interesting (my opinion) if you do structure/star
formation where you have a core collapse and the density, temperature
and pressure increases thereby reducing the timestep. In effect, for me,
I can not go beyond level of ~10 refinement. However, starting from a
smaller boxsize (in a specific region) would make it possible to do the
same resolution (say 10) and result in a detailed image of that area. Of
course, refining only this selected region and adapting the mesh from
10-20, is more ideal (boundary conditions and stuff), it is much more
computer demanding (even though the number of blocks do not seem
increase much) and impossible to achieve for me.

I have the impression that other codes, like ENZO, can do this more easily.

Kind Regards,
Seyit