[FLASH-USERS] Possibility of restarting FLASH from a selected region

Kevin Olson Kevin.M.Olson at drexel.edu
Thu Mar 12 12:25:20 EDT 2009

Dear Seyit,

Since you are using FLASH2.5, what I suggested before will not work
since the version of PARAMESH that is used does not allow more than 10
refinement levels.  Newer versions PARAMESH allow more refinement
levels and are only supported in FLASH 3.x.

I don't think doing what you want to do will help with regards to the
timestep problem.
You would still need to take smaller timesteps in your 'zoomed' in
region.

Also, I and others have found the almost all the time computing done in
FLASH is done on the finest meshes.  So, derefining the mesh in
uninteresting regions of your simulation and keeping them shouldn't be
a severe performance hit at all.

I am not that familiar with the details of ENZO, but from what I have
seen I think it is a good code and if it does what you need, give it a
shot!

Best,
Kevin Olson