[FLASH-USERS] H5Screate_simple: zero sized dimension

Mateusz Ruszkowski mateuszr at umich.edu
Mon Oct 5 18:03:21 EDT 2009

  Hi all,

[apologies if you are getting this message more then once; we had some
trouble sending the e-mail]

We are getting a runtime error related to hdf5. The crash occurs the
moment the code is attempting to write the initial conditions. The
standard output includes the following error messages:

  .
  .
  .
Initial dt verified
Driver_abortC called
Error: negative return from memspace H5Screate_simple
Calling MPI_Abort for immediate shutdown

and:

  .
  .
  .
HDF5-DIAG: Error detected in HDF5 library version 1.6.6-snap21 MPI-process
0. Back trace follows.
#000: H5S.c line 1595 in H5Screate_simple(): zero sized dimension
for non-unlimited dimension
major(01): Function arguments
minor(05): Bad value
MPI: On host columbia1, Program
/u/.realmounts/home7/nieusma/Flash/Planet_IR, Rank 0, Process 8697
1 called MPI_Abort(<communicator>, 1)

A similar error was reported on the FLASH mailing list in the past and a
suggestion was made that this could be due to (min refinement) > (max
refinement) in flash.par. We checked the refinement levels and this does
not appear to be a problem in the above run so the cause of this problem
is probably different in our case. Did anybody encounter similar issues?

     thanks,
       Mateusz & Justin