[FLASH-USERS] Slice interpolation and integration

Massimo Gaspari gaspmax at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 12 05:32:46 EDT 2009

Dear Flash users,

I am Massimo and I am using Flash since 3.1 (now 3.2). I'm working on AGN jet-outflows 3D hydro-simulations in galaxy clusters and groups.

I have two questions:

1) I made some 2D slices of the outputs using Quickflash, but I noticed that the final map (which is at max "refine level") is not interpolated; so I'm seeing all the AMR level squares. Is there a method/flag/option to produce interpolated maps? Has someone implemented this feature yet?

I've written some code lines to interpolate the data, but cell-centered data cannot be "caught" on 2D slices, so I've to do 3D trilinear interpolation (takes 8 hours just to produce a map), searching through all 3D (available) points for the eight corners, for every level. Is there a smarter way?

2) I want also to generate surface brightness maps, so I have to integrate all the slices (dens and temp) along line of sight (let's say x-direction). In this case, if I take non interpolated slices the results are very bad, so I really (?) need to interpolate. Again, has someone done something in this direction, producing good SB maps (with QF or other codes)?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Massimo