[FLASH-USERS] How to properly calculate sound speed

Tomasz Plewa tplewa at fsu.edu
Tue Feb 2 08:21:12 EST 2010

Seyit -

The sound speed is one of the quantities defined by the equation of
state, and so the gamma(s) in general are as well. Constant gamma is
essentially a fairly good model applying only to relatively simple
gases. As you already implied, the value of sound speed does not depend
on physics processes per se but rather on the thermodynamic state of matter.

Also,

C^2 = gamma P/rho

Reviewing a few chapters in the thermodynamics textbook might be most useful, and you may want to take a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound

Tomek
---