[FLASH-USERS] problem implementing bcTypes, in particular "user"

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 2 16:51:14 EST 2010

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Ken Dere wrote:
> I am using the usm MHD driver in Flash 3.2 for a 2D problem.
>
> I am trying to migrate an 8wave problems to usm and am having problems
> just specifying the boundary conditions.
>
> In my 8wave problem, I used xl,xr = 'periodic' and yl, yr =
> 'hydrostatic-f2+nvrefl'
>
> I wanted to use the yl, yr = 'user' or 'user-defined' but when I do, the
> simulation crashes with little output (something like p0_27722:
> p4_error: interrupt SIGSEGV: 11)
>
> So, I tried 'hydrostatic-f2+nvrefl' but that seems to get implemented
> in  Grid_bcApplyToRegion.  I see it coming into
> Grid_bcApplyToRegionSpecialized but I can't really trap it there and
> implement it.  I had hoped it would get applied in gr_applyFlash2HSEBC
> but that did not happen.
>
> I have checked the constants.h file and am sure of my spelling.
>
> As far as I can see, there is something strange going on.  Any advice
> would be appreciated.

Hello Ken,

Do you still have this problem?  I would like to help, but haven't
completely understood your setup.  Are you using your own
Grid_bcAppyToRegionSpecialized.F90 ? If yes, it could be helpful for me to
look at it.  What units are you including, and what are other relevant
lines from your simulation's Config file?

If the problem is that you want to use the FLASH implementation of
'hydrostatic-f2+nvrefl' together with your own behavior at some other
boundary, we should be able to find a way to do that.  But it seems
your problem was originally not about this but just about using a "user"
boundary condition.  That should be even easier.

Perhaps you could compile your code with debuggning enabled and run
on just 1 processor under gdb, so you will be able to see exactly
which source line triggered the SIGSEGV?