[FLASH-USERS] Avoiding runaway cooling

Jesús Zavala Franco jzavalaf at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Aug 17 19:08:52 EDT 2011

Dear all,

I am trying to setup a cluster merger simulation (gas + dark matter)
including radiative cooling. For that purpose I have used the
supplementary unit for Cooling for FASH 3.3 using the cooling tables
of Sutherland & Dopita (1993).

My main interest is in the evolution of the properties of ICM quite far from
the center of the clusters.

The inclusion of cooling seems to be working fine, but of course, the
cooling time in the center of the clusters is very low (~1Myr)
after running the simulation for just a fraction of the merger time, after
this, the time steps become too small to continue with the simulation.

Has anyone tried to implement cooling only in selected regions of the
simulation? or can you think of a way to avoid such small
cooling times in the center of the clusters? Of course feedback would
prevent this, but I'm trying to keep the amount of physics
that goes into the code to the minimum.

Any help will be appreciated,
Jesus Zavala
University of Waterloo