[FLASH-USERS] Avoiding runaway cooling

Jesús Zavala Franco jzavalaf at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Aug 17 21:24:27 EDT 2011

Hi John,

Thanks for your answer. I agree that the best would be to introduce a
feedback model. In fact, it would be best to have a whole SF and feedback
model, but then again I think this could be hard to implement since FLASH
doesn't have default units for this. Besides, for our purposes, we are
mostly interested to what happens to the hot gas in the clusters (actually
they are not in the cluster mass range but rather in the groups regime)
during their interaction, particularly to the region around the
"smaller-mass" group in its orbit through the more massive group and how the
properties of the gas change through mixing, so it is this mixing regions
where we want to concentrate. Cooling might be potentially important there
as well.

Regarding option 1), do you actually mean setting a floor to the temperature
or internal energy overall, such as the cooling time doesn't drop below
certain value? is this equivalent to setting a minimum time step?

Regarding option 2), I will check if there is a heat point source unit in
the supplementary units of FLASH.

Cheers and thanks again,
Jesus