[FLASH-USERS] FLASH and Octave

Aaron Froese aaron.froese at generalfusion.com
Wed Jan 26 17:17:33 EST 2011

Dear Sam and John,

Sorry, my questions would probably make more sense if you knew what my objective is.  I am using FLASH to simulate the compression of spheromaks and FRCs with liquid metal walls.  I wish to know the growth/decay rates of the magnetic field for each toroidal and poloidal mode.  Finding the toroidal modes just requires converting to cylindrical coordinates and taking the FFT in the azimuthal direction.  However, to do the same for the poloidal modes requires integrating along the poloidal flux contour.  Rather than reinvent the wheel in C++, I decided that I was better off working with a program that already had the required functionality built in.  Based on a cursory glance over the documentation, this seems to be outside the capabilities of yt.

The HDF5 support in Octave is limited to files generated by Octave itself, so it cannot simply import FLASH files.  I have not yet found the specifications that would make rewriting the HDF files readable by Octave, so I am somewhat hesitant to attempt that route.  I am still looking, but a promising method that preserves the data precision while maintaining portability would be to convert the data to a binary Matlab MAT file.

Aaron