[FLASH-USERS] MHD staggered mesh (Flash4a)

Aaron Froese aaron.froese at generalfusion.com
Fri Jul 15 21:50:12 EDT 2011

All the species that you define are considered fully ionized according to the Z that is given in Simulation_initSpecies.F90.  In order to simulate partial ionization, a new species is necessary for each ionization state.  If you try the NeiTest example, you can see how different ionization states are handled by a unit that uses SimulationComposition.

As I understand it, the electron abundance is not a mass scalar that the Riemann solvers can act upon, but is just a scratch variable to store the result of N_e = sum( Z * N_i(Z) ) for convenience.  It is only necessary for units such as Bremsstrahlung cooling that benefit from having the electron abundance precalculated.

Aaron