[FLASH-USERS] double rarefraction question

Robert Fisher rfisher1 at umassd.edu
Tue Mar 15 14:13:32 EDT 2011

Hi Dean :

  My recollection of this problem is that the rarefaction waves are
supersonic, and consequently the exact solution is a vacuum in the
interior. As a result, virtually any Godunov scheme, even one which is
based on an exact solver, can produce negative states when attempting
to obtain the correct solution.

  Most commonly, approximate solvers like the one used in FLASH have
floors applied to the density, pressure, and internal energy to the
Riemann problem solution in the interior. My first suggestion would be
to begin looking at the floors applied in rieman.F90 (eg, hy_smlrho,
hy_smallp), as they are almost certainly triggered here. How are the
floors being set currently?

  Best wishes,

  Bob

--