[FLASH-USERS] double rarefraction question

Weirs, V Gregory vgweirs at sandia.gov
Tue Mar 15 14:32:57 EDT 2011

The large internal energy error you observe is precisely why this is a
good verification problem. Flash (probably) conserves total energy and the
internal energy is backed out by subtracting the kinetic energy from the
total. In this problem all most all the energy is kinetic, so one large
number is being subtracted from another of nearly the same size, leading
to large errors in the difference (the internal energy.) Almost all direct
Eulerian methods have this problem.

Algorithmic remedies generally involve solving a PDE for the internal
energy, as well as total energy, momentum and mass, and then specifying
(generally ad hoc) conditions under which to sacrifice total energy
conservation for internal energy conservation.

For the conditions you specified from Toro (gamma=1.4 ideal gas) the
interior is NOT a vacuum state. Toro has the conditions for the vacuum to
be formed and the velocities are not high enough (one way to adjust the
problem) in this case. (Setting up a case where vacuum is formed would be
an interesting experiment in itself.) I do not think the adjusting the
floors should matter in this case.

Greg