[FLASH-USERS] double rarefraction question

Dean Townsley Dean.M.Townsley at ua.edu
Tue Mar 15 18:48:46 EDT 2011

Mike, Bob, Greg, thanks for the comments!

I'll reply all in one place...

As Greg says, the density at the center is not spectacularly low, only
about 0.02 (this is given in Toro so I know its right :) ).  So no
problems with the small density limit.  And this doesn't seem
particularly low from a numerical point of view either.  Or am I wrong
about that?

I've attached a plot of the internal energy, kinetic energy and density
from the reference (direct) solution.  You can see that the internal
energy is also not particularly low compared to the kinetic, being about
eint/ekin=0.5 at the lowest, and actually in the middle the kinetic
energy is zero.

So I still don't understand what is going so wrong.  0.02 doesn't seem
particlarly close to zero, but maybe it is(?).  And this doesn't seem to
be a kinetically dominated flow.  The eintSwitch is set at 0.0001 and we
don't go below 0.5.

Further thoughts are welcome, of course.  The next thing we might try is
somewhat lower velocities to see when/if things start to look more
reasonable.

Thanks again,
Dean