[FLASH-USERS] gid array format

David Williamson david.john.williamson at gmail.com
Tue May 24 17:14:30 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I am trying to read in the gid array from hdf5 data in Flash3.0 to work out the structure of the grid. The documentation implies that for 3d data this should be in the form of a 2D array of size gid[15][nb] (nb=number of boxes), where the [15] entries are the box IDs of the 6 neighbouring boxes, the 8 children, and the 1 parent.

However, when I use the coordinates array to compare the locations of the boxes indicated by gid, they don't seem to match very well - they are generally *close* to the box, but they aren't on the faces. I also notice negative numbers (-1 and -32) appearing in the gid array.

I can't find any documentation on the details of the gid array, so I'd like to check - am I looking at this right?

Cheers,
-David