[FLASH-USERS] Flow Reversal for Windtunnel with Gravity

Dean Townsley Dean.M.Townsley at ua.edu
Thu May 3 18:56:45 EDT 2012

Nitesh,

 From your description it sounds like the simulation is doing just what
it is supposed to, just the gravity you are applying is much stronger
than what you might have expected.

In order for the fluid to remain static when a simulation is started, it
must be initialized in hydrostatic equilibrium -- i.e. it must have a
pressure/density/temperature gradient of the appropriate size and
direction.  Without this the fluid will just start to "fall" toward such
an equilibrium as soon as the simulation starts.

There is some discussion of initializing fluid in hydrostatic
equilibrium in Zingale et al. (2002ApJS..143..539Z
<http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2002ApJS..143..539Z>), though it is in
the astrophysical context.  This also discusses relevant boundary
conditions to support the fluid.

If the gravity is too strong, it is possible for an inlet boundary
condition to be inconsistent, i.e. the imposed pressure may not be high
enough to actually support the material in the domain against gravity.
In this situation the pressure is not consistent with sustained inflow
and things will just get weird.

I have implemented a top-to-bottom flow-through hydrostatic domain, but
it is pretty touchy and it doesn't sound like this is what you are
looking for.  For a buoyant jet it seems like you want the hydrostatic
background to be mostly static, not steadily flowing.  Though honestly
I'm unsure what you are trying to reproduce.  Maybe if you have a
reference for an example?

Dean