[FLASH-USERS] Flow Reversal for Windtunnel with Gravity

Nitesh Attal nattal at uncc.edu
Thu May 3 20:14:51 EDT 2012

Hello Dean,
I would have a look at the paper you mentioned. It looks like my
previous discussion with Dangwook was not displayed on the user forum
and it is as follows.
Hello Dongwook,
Let me describe the problem again just to make sure we are on the same page,
The details are as follows------------------------
Coordinate System 2D cylindrical (r and z)
Left BC-Reflecting
Right BC-Outflow
Top BC-Outflow or Diode
Bottom BC-User
_________________________________
User BC details -
If r<=0.355cm then
     Vz = 800cm/s
     Vr = 0 cm/s
     P = 1atm
     T = 350K
     Species - N2 and O2 (AIR) (I plan to change this Later)
else
     Vz = 15cm/s
     Vr = 0 cm/s
     P = 1atm
     T = 300K
     Species - N2 and O2 (AIR)
_________________________________
Domain Initialized with Air at 300K and 1atm pressure.
Direction of Gravity = Z
Acceleration = (-981.0)
This means that the gravity is acting against the inlet flow.
Domain Size - r = 0 to 15 and z = 0 to 21
_________________________________
Solvers - Split PPM
EOS - Multigamma
_________________________________

I have tried the following,
1) Gravity OFF = No flow reversal
2) Gravity ON = Flow Reversal
3) Gravity ON but only for z>0, this means in the guard cells used to
apply the lower BC experience no gravity (acceleration is zero) = Flow
reversal
4) Gravity ON (Increase Co-flow) = Flow reversal

 From the above I concluded that there is pressure rise in the domain
when the gravity is turned on because of which flow reversal is
observed. Thus I changed the the Inlet BC as follows,
_________________________________
If r<=0.355cm then
     Vz = 800cm/s
     Vr = 0 cm/s
     P = *Pressure at (guard+1) cell*
     T = 350K
     Species - N2 and O2 (AIR) (I plan to change this Later)
else
     Vz = 15cm/s
     Vr = 0 cm/s
     P = *Pressure at (guard+1) cell*
     T = 350K
     Species - N2 and O2 (AIR)

This results in NO flow reversal but the pressure in the domain keeps on
increasing with time which I dont want to simulate. I want to simulate
an atmospheric jet.
Thank you for helping me out.
Nitesh