[FLASH-USERS] Flow Reversal for Windtunnel with Gravity

Dean Townsley Dean.M.Townsley at ua.edu
Fri May 4 00:35:09 EDT 2012

Hi Nitesh,

It seems to me like you will need to initialize the non-jet portion of
your domain in hydrostatic equilibrium so that it doesn't just start
falling.  A ballistic trajectory with an initial velocity of 15cm/s will
give you only 0.1 cm rise before it peaks and starts to fall back down.
And nominally you have fluid pushing down in addition to just gravity.
Though I'm unsure if your domain is initialized with fluid at rest or
not, but regardless it will start to fall pretty quickly because there
is no pressure gradient.

Flash does have a "hydrostatic" boundary condition that works like the
ones discussed in the paper I referenced, though you would have to put
in the "hole" for your jet but that might not be too hard a
modification.  Putting things in hydrostatic equilibrium also should be
pretty easy since you are using an ideal gas EOS, so the profile is
analytic with dP/dz = -rho g.  The necessary pressure gradient isn't
even really that big, but anything is big compared to zero.  With zero
gradient the fluid on the domain will just immediately start to free-fall.

I think in your second boundary condition the material is probably
trying to support itself, since the pressure at the bottom boundary is
free to increase, but there is not enough damping for this to ever find
an equilibrium.

I hope that helps,

Dean

On 05/03/2012 07:14 PM, Nitesh Attal wrote:
> [...]
> 1) Gravity OFF = No flow reversal
> 2) Gravity ON = Flow Reversal
> 3) Gravity ON but only for z>0, this means in the guard cells used to
> apply the lower BC experience no gravity (acceleration is zero) = Flow
> reversal
> 4) Gravity ON (Increase Co-flow) = Flow reversal
>
> From the above I concluded that there is pressure rise in the domain
> when the gravity is turned on because of which flow reversal is
> observed. Thus I changed the the Inlet BC as follows,
> _________________________________
> If r<=0.355cm then
>     Vz = 800cm/s
>     Vr = 0 cm/s
>     P = *Pressure at (guard+1) cell*
>     T = 350K
>     Species - N2 and O2 (AIR) (I plan to change this Later)
> else
>     Vz = 15cm/s
>     Vr = 0 cm/s
>     P = *Pressure at (guard+1) cell*
>     T = 350K
>     Species - N2 and O2 (AIR)
> _________________________________
>
> This results in NO flow reversal but the pressure in the domain keeps
> on increasing with time which I dont want to simulate. I want to
> simulate an atmospheric jet.
> Thank you for helping me out.
> Nitesh
> On 5/3/2012 6:56 PM, Dean Townsley wrote:
>> Nitesh,
>>
>> From your description it sounds like the simulation is doing just
>> what it is supposed to, just the gravity you are applying is much
>> stronger than what you might have expected.
>>
>> In order for the fluid to remain static when a simulation is started,
>> it must be initialized in hydrostatic equilibrium -- i.e. it must
>> have a pressure/density/temperature gradient of the appropriate size
>> and direction.  Without this the fluid will just start to "fall"
>> toward such an equilibrium as soon as the simulation starts.
>>
>> There is some discussion of initializing fluid in hydrostatic
>> equilibrium in Zingale et al. (2002ApJS..143..539Z
>> <http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2002ApJS..143..539Z>), though it is in
>> the astrophysical context.  This also discusses relevant boundary
>> conditions to support the fluid.
>>
>> If the gravity is too strong, it is possible for an inlet boundary
>> condition to be inconsistent, i.e. the imposed pressure may not be
>> high enough to actually support the material in the domain against
>> gravity.  In this situation the pressure is not consistent with
>> sustained inflow and things will just get weird.
>>
>> I have implemented a top-to-bottom flow-through hydrostatic domain,
>> but it is pretty touchy and it doesn't sound like this is what you
>> are looking for.  For a buoyant jet it seems like you want the
>> hydrostatic background to be mostly static, not steadily flowing.
>> Though honestly I'm unsure what you are trying to reproduce.  Maybe
>> if you have a reference for an example?
>>
>> Dean
>>

>> On 05/02/2012 12:43 PM, Nitesh Attal wrote:
>>> 1) I use a constant acceleration of gravity (-981.0) along x