[FLASH-USERS] Maclaurin test problem

Carlo Graziani carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 17 16:05:33 EDT 2013

Hi Philip.

The Maclaurin unit test setup is only intended to test the accuracy of the
potential calculation.  It does not, as you observe, evolve the fluid,
because that is not required for this purpose.

The full Maclaurin spheroid solution corresponds to a uniformly-rotating,
uniform-density (and therefore incompressible) fluid.  Setting this up as a
dynamical problem with a gasdynamic code such as FLASH would not be easy,
and would probably require a degree of approximation such as to make the
comparison with the analytical solution moot.

Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Graziani                                 (773) 702-7973 (Voice)
University of Chicago Flash Center             (773) 702-6645 (FAX)