[FLASH-USERS] RT in FLASH4.0.1

Reem Alraddadi raba500 at york.ac.uk
Wed May 1 07:49:35 EDT 2013

 Hi,
I am trying to model a recent Rayleigh Taylor instability experiment using
flash. I know there is no RT example in simulation examples's source so I
just depend on the published papers which it is used flash in their model
(e.g., N. C. Hearn et al., 2007) to understand how I could simulate RT.
However, I have several questions:
1-      The papers that I found aimed to study mixing processes not the
linear case which I am really interested in. I know that flash does not
explicitly track interfaces between the fluids which make me wonder if
modelling the linear case unsing FLASH is a good idea?
2-      Also, the papers didn’t mention any thing about how I could define
the sinusoidal perturbations between the two fluids. Do I need to write
subroutine to define the sinusoidal modulation function between the two
fluids including the position of the surface at j direction and how will
this work with Gravity unit? (NB: In the time being, I try to understand
Jeans instability as it’s only the example of hydrodynamic in the examples).

3-      Do you think combing Laserslab and Jeans examples is a good idea to
start model RT using FLASH?

Thanks for your help,

Reem