[FLASH-USERS] External Magnetic Field

dongwook at flash.uchicago.edu dongwook at flash.uchicago.edu
Thu May 9 13:15:00 EDT 2013

Dear Shaoran,

The MHD solvers in FLASH, both unspit and split solvers, do not have
implementations for background (or external) magnetic fields. If you are
interested, you would need to implement your own in FLASH, basically
splitting the total fields into two part, B=B0+B1, where B0 is a
background divergence & curl free field, and B1 is your perturbation
fields.

You then need to modify MHD equations of momenta, energy, and induction,
basically in order to allow evolving your plasma only for B1 & the energy
which is associated with B1 only.

The implementations shouldn't be too hard, and if you need more help,
please let me know.

Best,
Dongwook

Dongwook Lee, Ph.D., Research Scientist
The Flash Center for Computational Science
The University of Chicago
5747 S. Ellis Ave., Room 319
Chicago, IL 60637
(773) 834-6830