[FLASH-USERS] (no subject)

Dean Townsley Dean.M.Townsley at ua.edu
Thu May 23 13:35:08 EDT 2013

Hi Michael,

I'm pretty sure the second to last column in SpeciesList.dat is the spin
part of the nuclear partition function.  This is needed for equilibrium
calculations and for computing inverse rates properly. I'm unsure about
the last column, which is 0.5 for neutrons and protons and zero otherwise.

Nominally you can't just add species there.  You also have to include
reactions.  The currently working nuclear reaction network in flash is
"approx 13" (documented in "the flash paper" Fryxell et al 2000
(2000ApJS..131..273F
<http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2000ApJS..131..273F>) ), which only
treats the 13 nuclides He4, C12, O16, Ne20, Mg24, Si28, S32, Ar36, Ca40,
Ti44, Cr48, Fe52, and Ni56.  These are connected by capture/release of
an alpha particle (He4 nucleus), though the network uses approximate
"effective" rates that account for other side-channel reactions.  This
is the network used in CellularDetonation.  Very useful for explosive
burning in supernovae, x-ray bursts, and other thermonuclear transient
stellar phenomena.  Not so useful for deuterium/tritium fusion.

Dean