[FLASH-USERS] Fwd: Conduction Issues/Inconsistencies

James Guillochon jfg at ucolick.org
Sun Nov 3 17:20:50 EST 2013

Hi all, I’ve been attempting to use the Conductivity + Diffuse modules in
FLASH 4.0.1, and I’ve encountered a number of issues/inconsistencies I was
hoping to have resolved:

- It seems that most of the Conductivity modules include a
“Conductivity_fullState” routine, which does not compile without errors
unless the 3T EOS is used, but as far as I can tell
“Conductivity_fullState” is not called by anything in the FLASH source. The
way the rest of the Conductivity modules are written seems to indicate that
they should work with a single temp EOS, but the inability to compile the
fullState function makes me a bit wary. Are the Conductivity modules
written to support a single temp EOS?

- I am getting errors/warnings in the Pfft solver when using the implicit
mode from DiffuseMain/Split on a number of processors not equal to a power
of 2 (I think, 64 processors worked fine, 96 processors produced errors for
otherwise identical simulations). The four types of messages I see in the
output are (note that NONE of these are seen when running on 64 processors):

[gr_pfftInitMetadata]: WARNING... making work arrays larger artificially!!!
(INFO) Processor:          11 has no pencil grid points.
perfmon: ran out of space for timer, "guardcell internal", cannot time this
timer with perfmon
[Timers_start] Ran out of space on timer call stack. Probably means calling
start without a corresponding stop.

- The timestep limiter seems to still apply when using an implicit solver,
although as far as I understand there’s no need to limit the timestep when
solving implicitly. Is this just an oversight? Should I just set
dt_diff_factor to a large number when using the implicit solver?

Thanks for reading,
- James

--
James Guillochon
Einstein Fellow at Harvard CfA

--
James Guillochon
Einstein Fellow at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
jguillochon at cfa.harvard.edu