[FLASH-USERS] trouble with flmake

Anthony Scopatz scopatz at flash.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 12 16:48:21 EDT 2014

Hi Jon,

That tutorial assumes that you were in a version controlled repository
already.  If you had to type "git init" then you weren't in an expected
state. The purpose of flmake is to enable reproducibility, which for FLASH
means that you need to be in your own repo.  I am sorry if this was not
clear.

Be Well
Anthony

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM, Slavin, Jonathan <jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to follow the tutorial for using flmake (
> http://flash.uchicago.edu/site/flashcode/user_support/tools4b/usersguide/flmake/index.html)
> and have run into a number of problems.  Most have involved the git_info
> function in utils.py.  The first I tracked it down to the fact that the
> main directory did not have a branch name, i.e. git branch did not return
> anything.  This is normal if one gets the code via download as I did.  I
> solved that by doing git init, git add, git commit in that directory.  Then
> it failed because in my newly created directory, did not have a branch name.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/home/jslavin/.local/bin/flmake", line 6, in <module>
>     main()
>   File
> "/home/jslavin/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flash/flmake/main.py",
> line 57, in main
>     rtn = mainfunc(ns, rc)
>   File
> "/home/jslavin/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flash/flmake/setup.py",
> line 270, in main
>     setup_desc(ns, rc)
>   File
> "/home/jslavin/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flash/flmake/setup.py",
> line 255, in setup_desc
>     desc = {'setup': desc_cmd_metadata()}
>   File
> "/home/jslavin/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flash/flmake/utils.py",
> line 299, in desc_cmd_metadata
>     desc_meta['project_version'] = vc_info(project_dir)
>   File
> "/home/jslavin/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flash/flmake/utils.py",
> line 87, in vc_info
>     info = vc_switch[vc_type](d)
>   File
> "/home/jslavin/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flash/flmake/utils.py",
> line 35, in git_info
>     branch = re.search('\* (.*?)\s*\n', branch_out).group(1)
> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'group'
>
> Really, a tutorial ought to work better than this.  I suppose I can get
> around this in the same way I did with the main directory, though it's not
> clear that that is the best approach.
>
> Jon

> Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
> jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
> phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
> fax: (617) 496-7577            USA

Anthony Scopatz
Post-doctoral Scholar
The FLASH Center for Computational Science
Dept. of Astronomy and Astrophysics
The University of Chicago
cell: (512) U2-PU239
office: (773) 834-2705