[FLASH-USERS] Change in user boundary conditions from 4.0.1 to 4.2.x?

James Guillochon jguillochon at cfa.harvard.edu
Sat Jun 21 20:42:46 EDT 2014

Hi everyone, I have a simulation setup that calls
"Grid_applyBCEdgeAllUnkVars" to set user-defined boundary conditions. The
setup was working fine in FLASH 4.0.1, but after upgrading to 4.2.2, I
found that the user-defined boundaries are doing funny things. I've
verified that Grid_applyBCEdgeAllUnkVars is still being called, and that
the values being set by that routine still make sense. When running, the
boundaries seem to be *almost* what I have set, except that the values are
slightly off (the density is off by ~30%, for instance). It almost seems
like the ghost cell values are being partially ignored when calculating the
fluxes into the domain. My problem setup is very similar to the WindTunnel
setup in that mass is flowing onto the grid from the +y boundary.

I tried 4.2.0 and 4.2.1 to see if it perhaps was one of the newest point
versions, and I had the same problem. FLASH versions 4.1.x are not
available for download, so I cannot test those version. I have
double-checked that my setup is still functional in 4.0.1.

Was anything about how user boundary conditions are applied changed between
4.0.1 and 4.2.2?

Thanks for reading,
- James

--
James Guillochon
Einstein Fellow at the Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jguillochon at cfa.harvard.edu