[FLASH-USERS] Plotting particle positions

Joshua Wall joshua.e.wall at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 15:31:21 EST 2014

Dear Users,

    I'm having some difficultly plotting particles in either Visit or yt.
Initially I thought it might be my particular script, but now I'm just
trying to plot the particle in the Sink Momentum Test problem. When I load
the plot files, I don't see a particle subset in Visit. When I load the
checkpoint files or the particle files I see a subset named Particles,
which has posx, posy, and posz. However attempting to scatter plot these is
unsuccessful.

   In my own script, I don't see anything called Particles in the
checkpoint or particle files, even though I used the Sink Momentum Test par
and config files as a template. If I look at the particle files using
HDFView, I don't see anything labelled "posx", "posy" or "posz".

   The Sink Momentum Test is being run unedited. My own config file
contains:

REQUIRES Particles/ParticlesMain/active/Sink
REQUIRES physics/Gravity/GravityMain/Poisson
REQUIRES physics/sourceTerms/Polytrope/PolytropeMain

    and my par file has:

plot_var_12 = "posx"
plot_var_13 = "posy"
plot_var_14 = "posz"

useParticles              = .true.
useSinkParticles          = .true.

   among other things.

   Can anyone enlighten me on the necessary switches I need to throw in the
config and par files that I am missing to make sure all the data is there
to plot? I should note that for my application I'm specifically needing to
use sink particles (star cluster in a gas).

Thanks,

Joshua Wall

Doctoral Candidate
Department of Physics