[FLASH-USERS] Plotting particle positions

Mark L Richardson Mark.L.Richardson at asu.edu
Tue Nov 18 04:37:10 EST 2014

If I remember correctly, particle data cannot be added to the plot files.
Instead all particle variables are found in the particle files and in the
checkpoint files under tracer\ particles. The variable names are defined in
particle\ names.

If you want to see the particle data in the grid (assuming active
particles) then add pden to your plot_vars, as that's the density from
particles mapped to the grid for the gravity solver.

I'm as yet unfamiliar with how yt handles particles in FLASH, but pre-3.0
you needed to use the checkpoint file if you wanted yt to see them. There
may be a way now to read the particle files, but I'm not sure. I don't have
experience with Visit, sorry.

Good luck,
  -Mark

--
Mark Richardson,
Mark.L.Richardson at asu.edu
Ph.D. Astrophysics
Beecroft Postdoctoral Fellow
Department of Physics, University of Oxford
+44 7445 922707
www.public.asu.edu/~mlricha4