[FLASH-USERS] Question of 3D ray tracing in 2D simulation

Norbert Flocke flocke at flash.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 24 16:24:33 EST 2014

Hi Po-Yu,

Your confusion comes from the sentence:

For cylindrical coordinate, (x,y,z) should correspond to (r,z,theta).

What you are stating here are the 3D cylindrical coordinates, which is
not what 3D ray tracing in 2D cylindrical uses. The 3D in 2D cylindrical
retains the original (r,z) 2D cylindrical coordinates (in FLASH these
would be the (x,z) axis) and uses the y-coordinate to mimic the angular
coordinate of a 3D cylindrical domain. Please have a look at the
FLASH user's guide section: 16.4.7.2 The Approximate 3D in 2D Ray Tracing
Solution, and especially Figure 16.9: Shape and location of the TW cells.
I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Norbert