[FLASH-USERS] Problem using spherical coordinates in yt

Michael Schlenker mjs538 at drexel.edu
Thu Jan 29 13:48:26 EST 2015

Hi everyone,

I've been having issues plotting my simulation in spherical coordinates. My simulation runs smoothly to completion and all of my initial values are the values that I desire. Yet, when I use yt.ProjectionPlot( data, "dim", "var") to view my data, I get one of three issues depending on what "dim" is.

If dim==theta, yt tells me that an "all NaN axis is detected" and "var is filled with NaNs". The plot it presents next is predictably empty.

If dim==phi, yt never manages to finish plotting. It hangs up on the calculation.

If dim== r, yt will plot "var" on a z-theta coordinate grid but the values are all uniformly zero.

As mentioned before, my initial values are nonzero. When I retool my simulation to run in Cartesian coordinates, yt will make projection plots with values that seem reasonable for what I'd expect for all values of "dim" and "var" that I choose. Unfortunately, spherical coordinates are a requirement for my application so this fix isn't an option.

To make all of this stranger, I have spherical versions of my simulation that yt was able to plot before but now are no longer plotable. Maybe the update to yt caused this but the patch notes don't seem to suggest any changes that would have affected me. I'm very uncertain of what the heart of this problem is. If anyone has seen an issue like this before or has debugging suggestions, please let me know.

Best,
Mike S