[FLASH-USERS] [Flash] ray tracing issue

Don Lamb lamb at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 29 12:09:58 EDT 2015

Dear Po-Yu,

The features in the laser ray trace image you attached to your email
message may be a Moire pattern caused by using a uniform distribution of
rays per unit distance, and choosing for the total number of rays a
number that is incommensurate with the number of cells in the
y-direction.  If this is the problem, you can solve it either by making
the number of rays per cell in the y-direction an integer or by using a
random distribution of rays.  If you choose to do the latter, you will
need to use a large number of rays.

With warm regards, Don

On 7/27/15 6:44 PM, pchang wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am using flash to simulate the implosion of a cylindrical target
> using lasers. Please see the attached file. I am using the cubic
> interpolation with Runge Kutta Integration ray tracing in most recent
> version, FLASH4.3, but similar issue was observed in Kaiser ray
> tracing in FLASH4.2. The issue is I have more than 20 beams passing
> through each grid (I have tried the case with about 50 beams/grid) in
> my simulation. I should expect a smooth energy deposition. However, I
> always see "ray traces" in the energy deposition plot. The separation
> of those ray traces are much bigger than the grid size. It doesn't
> make sense to me since I have so many rays passing through each grid,
> how come I still have non-uniform energy deposition.
> Does anyone encounter similar issues?
> Thank you,
>
> Po-Yu

*  Don Q. Lamb                                                         *
*  Robert A. Millikan Distinguished Service Professor                  *
*  Director, Flash Center for Computational Science                    *
*  Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics                            *
*    and the Enrico Fermi Institute                                    *
*  Harris School of Public Policy Studies    (773) 350-3838 (Cell)     *
*  University of Chicago                     (773) 702-7194 (Office)   *
*  5747 South Ellis Avenue                   (773) 834-3230 (FAX)      *
*  Chicago, IL 60637                         lamb at oddjob.uchicago.edu  *