[FLASH-USERS] Spherical Coordinates Speed up

Sean Couch smc at flash.uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 10 15:41:20 EDT 2015

Hi Nilou,

I’m not 100% sure, but I think there are a few reasons why you are seeing this behavior.  First, I’m not even sure that collectiveIO works with uniform grid mode.  The collective aspect means that blocks are collected on a subset of ranks before being written to disk.  In UG, there is only one block per rank by construction…so I’m just not sure it works together.

Second, collectiveIO is to overcome issues in parallel writes of contention amongst many ranks attempting to write to a single file.  In my experience, this only matters when the number of ranks is in the 1000s or more.  I don’t think your problem size is anywhere near large enough to see a benefit from collective IO.

Sean

Sean M. Couch
Theoretical Astrophysics Including Relativity
California Institute of Technology
Mail Code 350-17
Pasadena, CA  91125
(626) 395-4282