[FLASH-USERS] Thermal conduction in a shock

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 3 12:47:44 EST 2015

Hi all,

I've been doing some runs of supernova remnant evolution with thermal
conduction.  I was surprised to find that the shock propagates faster when
I include thermal conduction, even with flux limitation.  I attribute this
to conduction in the shock front, which is necessarily spread over a few
grid points by numerical effects.

This is mostly, I believe, not a physically realistic result, so I'd like
to turn off conduction in the shock fronts.  The approach that I'm thinking
of using is related to the one used in the Burn unit wherein
Hydro_detectShock is called which fills an array shock with 0 (no shock) or
1 (shock).  Then in the Diffuse unit, diff_advanceTherm to be precise, I
would call Hydro_detectShock and set cond_zone to 0 if shock is 1.  Does
this sound like a reasonable approach?  Has anyone else done something
similar?  Are there pitfalls I need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,
Jon

Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
cell: (781) 363-0035             USA