[FLASH-USERS] Question / potential bug in EOS

pchang pchang at lle.rochester.edu
Mon Nov 9 12:25:20 EST 2015

Hi all,
I am benchmarking Flash to a 1D code in our lab and the calculated
numbers and see if they give the same result. And I found some results
that indicates some issues / potential bug in EOS.
In my test, I setup an initial temperature with an initial density of D2
gas. To simplify the problem, I used fully ionized ideal gas model,
which I believe it's what eos_gam stand for. The eos mode I had were
eosModeInit="dens_temp_gather" and eosMode="dens_ie_gather". During the
test, I kept the gas density fixed to be 1.6mg/cc. Then I varied the
initial temperature. Since I used +mtmmmt in my setup, so I need to give
the electron, the ion, and the radiation temperature, but I kept them
all the same to each other during the test. When I had the temperature
equal to 2.9e2 Kelvin (0.025eV), it gave a pressure of  ~4e7 dyne/cm2.
This number matches the 1D code and the calculated pressure using the
ideal gas model. Then, I increased the temperature and see what's the
pressure I got. In ideal gas model, the pressure scales linearly versus
temperature. However, when I had the temperature of 2.9e6 Kelvin
(250eV), the pressure deviated from our 1D code and the ideal gas model.
In stead of getting ~4e11 dyne/cm2, I got 5.7e11 dyne/cm2. When I
increased the temperature to 2.9e7 Kelvin (2.5keV), the pressure was
1.8e15 dyne/cm2 instead of ~4e12 dyne/cm2 from ideal gas model. The much
higher pressure can make big impact on hydrodynamic! In fact I tried
using tabulated sesame table, they gave the same result!

I don't know if any encounter this issues? Is it a potential bug in the
eos package?

Thanks,

Po-Yu

--
Po-Yu Chang

Postdoctoral Associate
The Department of Energy's Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E)
Department of Mechanical Engineering,
Fusion Science Center for Extreme States of Matter,
Laboratory for Laser Energetics
University of Rochester
250 East River Road
Rochester, New York 14623