[FLASH-USERS] hangup with laser2Din3D

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 22 19:10:41 EDT 2016

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016, Mario Manuel wrote:

> ... did notice that the top line of the output when it crashes is:
>
> NOTE: Enabling curvilinear, cartesian_pm/cylindrical_pm/spherical_pm/polar_pm  so far was F F F F
>
> Usually in my other simulations (that use 3Din2D=false) the first line looks like:
>
> NOTE: Enabling curvilinear, cartesian_pm/cylindrical_pm/spherical_pm/polar_pm  so far was F T F F
>
> I don't know if the lack of a T indicates something significant…

Not really. This should change if you add +cylindrical or
-geometry=cylindrical to your setup command, but FLASH should be
able to handle non-Cartesian geometries correctly even if they are not
specified on the setup command line.

> I guess I should also note that the first _chk_0000 file and the
> LaserEnergyProfile.dat file get created, but are empty (i.e. 0 bytes).

You seem to have serious filesystem trouble, an empty HDF5 file points to
rpblesm with the HDF5 library (especially if, as you seemed to say, FLASH
did not die while having to the open for writing, but was just hanging).

Maybe try +serialIO, or even +noio.