[FLASH-USERS] hangup with laser2Din3D

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 25 16:25:55 EDT 2016

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016, Mario Manuel wrote:

> I tried the FLASH4.3 LaserSlab simulation with different IO settings. It
> ran with +noio, but ‘crashed’ with +hdf5typeio and +serialIO. My
> hdf5 library must be incompatible with the 3Din2D algorithm?

There is no obvious connection between the 3Din2D algorithm and I/O, as
far as I know. So I don't know why turning "3Din2D" would result in
FLASH hanging in I/O.

> I have been
> using hdf5-1.8.5/parallel with 3Din2D=false and had no problems. Is
> there a suggested hdf5 version for FLASH4.2.2? FLASH4.3?

Any 1.8.* version of HDF5 should work AFAIK. You may have to compile
FLASH with -DH5_USE_16_API (see your Makefile.h, or others under ./sites),
depending on how the HDF5 library was configured; but if you don't
when you need to, there should be some obvious error message.