[FLASH-USERS] energy inaccuracy in Sedov simulation

Marissa Adams madams at pas.rochester.edu
Tue Jul 26 10:48:25 EDT 2016

Hi Jonathan,

I have also noticed this problem.

The energy one sees in the .dat file is typically less than the input
energy for sim_expEnergy. Also noticed that this is geometry dependent.

I input on the order of 1e10 ergs, and in cartesian I get out 9.2e9; for
cylindrical I get even less! 3.2e8... which is huge. Note I am going based
off of memory here. I cannot get into my HPC system now.

If I am remembering things correctly: seems that in the source code's
volume function in Simulation_init.f90 doesn't always choose the volume
you're choosing to distribute the energy over.

I think it is the section where you'll find a comment that notes the code
will calculate the initial volume and interior pressure. It is assuming pi
r^2 for to get the energy density... where as you may want something
different for other chosen geometries.

If I remember correctly the output energy also changes depending where you
put the hotspot.

Sorry for the haphazard e-mail, but I am experiencing similar issues!

Best,
Marissa

Marissa Adams                         E-mail: madams at pas.rochester.edu
Graduate Student                      Ph: (585) 402-5779
Department of Physics & Astronomy     Website:
http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~madams/
University of Rochester
478 Bausch & Lomb Hall
P.O. Box 270171