[FLASH-USERS] energy inaccuracy in Sedov simulation

Robert Fisher rfisher1 at umassd.edu
Tue Jul 26 11:00:58 EDT 2016

Hi Jonathan :

  I've recently been looking into the Sedov problem as a test case for some
remnant work I am doing. The Sedov problem is easy to set up as a point
blast and get "sort of" correct, but because of its self-similar nature, it
is singular at [image: t = 0], and consequently it is extremely challenging
to get precisely correct in all its details.

  By default, FLASH initializes a point-like energy deposition in the
central zones, in an approximation to a delta function. Firstly, if you
carefully read through the code, you will find that the explosion energy
parameter is not actually used in this case at all -- the code is simply
initializing density and pressure. Additionally, adding more resolution is
a somewhat better approximation to the delta function, but is still not
quite what you may need if you are looking to do a very accurate
initialization. A better procedure is to set the initial time (tinitial in
flash.par) to a small but non-zero value. This will kick in a second piece
of the initialization code in Simulation_initBlock.F90, which initializes
the exact solution at the specified time, and actually *does use the
explosion energy parameter sim_expEnergy*, though this code is currently
hard-coded to work only for [image: \gamma = 7/5] and for 3D. This
initialization procedure has the advantage of avoiding the initial
singularity of the solution. In this case I believe you will find better
convergence behavior with added resolution, but there are limitations in
the hardcoded solution.

  Lastly, depending on what sort of accuracy you may be demanding, there
are also some errors in the well-known texts on this problem which will
reveal themselves as you test against the exact solutions. There is much
more on these issues on Frank Timmes website :
http://cococubed.asu.edu/research_pages/sedov.shtml, where you can also
find a highly-accurate initialization method which can be used as an
initialization.

  Best wishes,

  Bob