[FLASH-USERS] Sudden increase on boundary in eele and erad

Mark Richardson mark.richardson.work at gmail.com
Mon May 23 11:58:46 EDT 2016

Hello all,

  In our continued effort to use RadTrans with the multiTemp/MatRad3 mode
and with gravity, we've been dealing with continued errors on the
boundaries where the eele term goes to zero or negative without being
caught in Eos_wrapped. It's then caught in hy_uhd_unsplitUpdateMultiTemp
and/or hy_uhd_ragelike.F90. This was overcome by enforcing the floor values
eos_smallEele and eos_smallErad in these two subroutines where appropriate,
which allowed us to go two orders of magnitude further in simulation time.

However, we eventually get very similar behaviour again, which is caught in
hy_uhd_getFaceFlux with an imaginary sound speed. This is traced back to
the GAME value essentially being set to 1 in Eos_wrapped because our Energy
suddenly goes to an extremely large value.

Attached are slices of the internal energy variables the step before and
after this happens (note that the units in the image have a typo and it
should read erg/g).

My current plan is to enforce a variable ceiling on the energy in
Eos_wrapped; for this work it should never really increase anyway, and GAME
should be pretty similar (within 2-5%) of GAMC.

However, in case anyone has seen similar behaviour or may have some insight
into what could be going wrong, I'd love to hear from you. Here are the
main options passed to the setup command:
-auto -3d -nxb=16 -nyb=16 -nzb=8 -maxblocks=256 species=rock,watr +uhd3tr
mgd_meshgroups=1

Cheers,
  -Mark

--

Mark Richardson
Beecroft Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Physics
Mark.Richardson at physics.ox.ac.uk
+44 1865 280793