[FLASH-USERS] 2D Spherical and Cartesian Geometry

Michiel Bustraan michiel.bustraan at astro.su.se
Fri Sep 23 09:53:32 EDT 2016

Klaus,

I set the geometr to 2d spherical in the setup command, as you can see below, as well as in the flash.par file.
Here is the information you asked for, from the logfile of the failed simulation:

Version:         FLASH 4.3_release

Setup syntax:    /home/mbust/FLASH4.3/bin/setup.py MySimulation -2d -auto +spherical -objdir sphersimulation species=h1 ManualSpeciesDirectives=True +parallelio +uhd -maxblocks=10000 -gridinterpolation=monotonic

ymax                        =                 0.180E+03 [CHANGED]
ymin                        =                 0.000E+00

xl_boundary_type            = reflect                        [CHANGED]
xr_boundary_type            = outflow                        [CHANGED]
yl_boundary_type            = reflect                        [CHANGED]
yr_boundary_type            = reflect                        [CHANGED]

I'm not sure if these boundaries are relevant, but I was using them in a previous simulation and forgot to remove them:
diff_eleflmode              = fl_none
diff_elexlboundarytype      = outflow
diff_elexrboundarytype      = outflow
diff_eleylboundarytype      = outflow
diff_eleyrboundarytype      = outflow
diff_elezlboundarytype      = outflow
diff_elezrboundarytype      = outflow
diff_ionflmode              = fl_none
diff_ionxlboundarytype      = outflow
diff_ionxrboundarytype      = outflow
diff_ionylboundarytype      = outflow
diff_ionyrboundarytype      = outflow
diff_ionzlboundarytype      = outflow
diff_ionzrboundarytype      = outflow

For the Hydro, this is from the flash.par file:

# Hydro
useHydro                       = .true.
cfl                            = 0.1 #6
interpol_order                 = 2 #2
updateHydroFluxes              = .TRUE.
eintSwitch		       = 1e-4
ppm_modifystates	       = .FALSE.
use_cma_advection	       = .FALSE.

##  SWITCHES SPECIFIC TO THE UNSPLIT HYDRO SOLVER               ##
#       I. INTERPOLATION SCHEME:
order           = 5          # Interpolation order (first/second/third/fifth order)
slopeLimiter    = "mc"   # Slope limiters (minmod*, mc, vanLeer, hybrid, limited)
LimitedSlopeBeta= 1.         # Slope parameter for the "limited" slope by Toro
charLimiting    = .true.     # Characteristic limiting vs.Primitive limiting
transorder	= 3

use_avisc       = .true.     # use artificial viscosity (originally for PPM)
cvisc           =  0.1       # coefficient for artificial viscosity
use_flattening  = .true.     # use flattening (dissipative) (originally for PPM)
use_steepening  = .false.    # use contact steepening (originally for PPM)
use_upwindTVD   = .false.    # use upwind biased TVD slope for PPM (need nguard=6)
flux_correct    = .true.
EOSforRiemann   = .true. #*
transOrder      = 1
use_auxEintEqn  = .TRUE.
hydroComputeDtOption = -1
hy_fPresInMomFlux = 0.0

#       II. RIEMANN SOLVERS:
RiemannSolver   = "HLLC"   # Roe, HLL*, HLLC, LLF, Marquina
entropy         = .true.     # Entropy fix for the Roe solver

#       III. STRONG SHOCK HANDELING SCHEME:
shockDetect     = .true.    # Shock Detect for numerical stability
shockLowerCFL	= .true.

I tried changing these in various ways, but nothing seemed to help.

- Michiel