[FLASH-USERS] Problem in example Z-Pinch, Nohcylindrical

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 11 10:15:05 EDT 2017

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017, Marissa Adams wrote:

> e.g.
>
> > ./setup -auto magnetoHD/NohCylindrical -3d +cylindrical -nxb=16 -nyb=16
> > -nzb=16 +usm

I would not recommend combining "-3d" and "+cylindrical", at least for
beginners. Not sure right now to what degree (a) the NohCylindrical
problem and (b) support 3D cylindrical geometry; but in the usual use
cases,
 * use 2D for cylindrical geometry and
 * used Cartesian geometry for 3D.

> Of course you could add more to your set up script. Look at the user
> guide to see what more you may need (
> http://flash.uchicago.edu/site/flashcode/user_support/). You can choose
> to use the unsplit staggered mesh (+usm), or 8-wave (+8wave) approach
> for magnetic fields. See the documentation for more info (Section 14.3).
> I think +usm would be suggested.

Yes.

> The nx*=16 are the number of blocks you want
> for each dimension.

Small correction: -nxb, -nyb, -nzb specify the number of (interior) cells
per block. The number of blocks will depend on refinement levels
and refinement criteria, nblockx/nblocky/nblockz parameters, etc.
(and different runtime parameters for the Uniform Grid implementation).