[FLASH-USERS] problem with restarting a FLASH 4.3 run with sink particles

Boss, Alan boss at dtm.ciw.edu
Mon Apr 17 14:10:15 EDT 2017

When I try to restart a FLASH 4.3 run with a central massive body and
several sink particles in a surrounding disk, the central massive body
doubles in mass, while the other sink particles restart with their correct
masses. I have tried many variations on the sink cell parameters to try to
fix this, to no avail.

Here are the relevant parameters in flash.par for starting the run:

# sink particle parameters and Jeans refinement

#refine_var_1          = "none"
#refine_var_thresh     = "dens"
#refineOnJeansLength   = .true.
#jeans_ncells_ref      = 8.0
#jeans_ncells_deref    = 64.0
#refineOnSinkParticles = .true.

useParticles              = .true.
useSinkParticles          = .true.
sink_density_thresh       = 1.0e-11  #
sink_accretion_radius     = 6.0e12   #
sink_softening_radius     = 6.0e12   #
#sink_softening_type_gas   = "linear"
#sink_softening_type_sinks = "spline"
#sink_integrator           = "leapfrog"
#sink_subdt_factor         = 0.01
#sink_dt_factor            = 0.5
sink_merging              = .true.   # .false.
sink_convergingFlowCheck  = .true.
sink_potentialMinCheck    = .false.  # .true.
sink_jeansCheck           = .true.
sink_negativeEtotCheck    = .true.
sink_GasAccretionChecks   = .false.  # central sink mass accretion # .true.
#pt_maxPerProc             = 500

# initial central sink cell= 1 solar mass protostar
sim_sink_x    =  0.0
sim_sink_y    =  0.0
sim_sink_z    =  0.0
sim_sink_vx   =  0.0
sim_sink_vy   =  0.0
sim_sink_vz   =  0.0
sim_sink_mass =  1.989e33

If I do not comment out the initial central sink cell parameters (directly
above) on the restart, the restart leads to a central body that is four
times more massive than it should be. With those lines commented out, the
central body still doubles in mass. The sink cell code runs fine except for
this restart problem.

Any ideas about what the problem might be?

Thanks,
Alan Boss

Dr. Alan P. Boss
Department of Terrestrial Magnetism