[FLASH-USERS] ensuring div B = 0 when adjusting evolution

Dongwook Lee dongwook at flash.uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 9 19:51:55 EDT 2017

Hi Jon,

OK, I am glad to hear that your problem was resolved with a smaller dt,
which should help improving the numerical stability due to the second
explosion.

The reason I mentioned HLLD was because I've seen a couple of cases in
which fine-coarse block artifacts are triggered and amplified using the
HLLD solver, possibly due to (among many other scenarios) a switch that is
activated at degenerate case ~ line 215 or so.

I will need to look into this case more carefully in future and see how I
can improve the HLLD behavior. Until then, if this happens, switching to
HLLC will help.

Cheers,
Dongwook

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 9:19 AM, Slavin, Jonathan <jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Dongwook,
>
> I was using HLLD.  However my problem was solved when I set the initial
> time step after the second explosion to dtinit, which is a very small
> value.  So I think it was related to the large pressure gradients present
> when the second explosion is initiated.  As far as I can tell, the problem
> was between fine resolution pixels, not at a fine-coarse boundary.
>
> Jon
>
> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 7:05 PM, Dongwook Lee <dongwook at flash.uchicago.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jon,
>>
>> Do you see large B fluctuations aligned with the fine-coarse block
>> boundaries; and they get larger over time?
>>
>> Just to add one quick suggestion: what Riemann solver you've been using?
>> If HLLD, can you try to switch to HLLC or HLL and see if the fluctuations
>> still persist?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dongwook
>>
>> On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Slavin, Jonathan <
>> jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> To answer Sean and Ernesto's questions:
>>> I am using the USM solver and AMR.  I have now determined that div B is
>>> still 0 after the second explosion, which is not too surprising since, for
>>> this run, I have not changed the magnetic field and include div B cleaning
>>> (killdivb = .true.). So the problem is not with non-zero div B but with the
>>> large B fluctuations that are initiated. I noticed that there are small
>>> scale fluctuations in the region where the second explosion is initiated
>>> before the explosion, though the field is weak ~ 0.01 muG.  The
>>> fluctuations after the explosion go from ~ -1000 muG - +1000 muG.  I do
>>> expect amplification of B field fluctuations at the shock, but not to that
>>> extent.
>>>
>>> The way I'm initiating the second explosion is (almost) the same way I
>>> initiate the first one - I set the pressure of parcels within a given
>>> radius to a value such that the sum of the energy in those parcels is equal
>>> to the value I want for the explosion (1.E51 ergs).  I set the density to a
>>> value so as to have the mass total to 8 solar masses.  So all the energy is
>>> thermal at first.  I'll see about calling the EOS unit, since I haven't
>>> done that.  Any additional info on how to do that would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jon
>>>
>>> On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 1:00 PM, <flash-users-request at flash.uchicago.edu

>>> cell: (781) 363-0035             USA