[FLASH-USERS] Flash LaserSlab ionmix

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 21 15:29:35 EDT 2017

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017, Siyi Yu wrote:

> Hey Klaus,
> I am also trying to implement hytrogen ionization in my simulation. I am
> wondering, instead of using IOMIX documents, is it possible to implement a
> self-written function that calculates electron densities from temperature
> please?

Hi Siyi,

In principle this is possible. Even in the best case, it will probably
require some significant (re)writing of code. How much, and how difficult,
will depend a lot on what you want to do. Some initial questions to narrow
down your requirements:

 * Do you want to use this in 1T or in 3T (or RadFLAH?) simulations?

 * Do you Nele / ZBAR depend on only (density,temperature,composition),
   or on additional independent variables? (maybe including time /
   history?)

 * Do you just want one Eos implementation for all of your material(s),
   or do you want an implementation that models just the behavior of the hydrogen
   fraction in a multi-material, multi-type situation and can be combined
   with other implementations for other materials?

 * Do you want an Eos that is thermally ideal or something more
   complicated?

 * Do you need the derived quantities that Eos can potentially
   provide - see Eos.h - and if yes, which ones, or would you be satisfied
   (at least initially) with just getting the main variables
   like EOS_PRES, EOS_EINT, EOS_TEMP returned correctly by Eos?