[FLASH-USERS] ensuring div B = 0 when adjusting evolution

ERNESTO ZURBRIGGEN ezurbriggen at unc.edu.ar
Fri May 26 09:56:45 EDT 2017

Hi Jon!

Have you tried to set off a less intense second supernova explosion? Have
you observed the same problems in that case? The second explotion might be
much too intense.

On the other hand, how do you set the later explotion? I mean, applying the
explotion, are you consistently modifying the thermodynamical variables?
For example, if you instantaneously modify the density and the temperature,
then you also should call the Eos unit to keep the consistence. I have
experimented situations in which just modifying velocities and keeping the
thermodynamics unaltered, I also had to call the Eos unit in order to
maintain consistence

Some runtime parameter that might help being on are 'shockDetect' and
'shockLowerCFL' (this last one I think is just in realease 4.4).

Best!

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running MHD simulations where I set off a second supernova explosion
> within a pre-existing remnant.  I'm using Simulation_adjustEvolution for
> this.  However, I'm running into a problem with the magnetic field just
> after initiating the second explosion.  I'm getting very large
> pixel-to-pixel variations in Bx and By at the edge of the new expanding
> blast wave.  I'm thinking that it could be because of non-zero div B in the
> region in which the explosion is generated. So my question is, does anyone
> have a suggestion for div B cleaning at the point that the explosion is
> started, i.e. within Simulation_adjustEvolution, to prevent the problems
> I'm having? I don't really expect the B field to be dynamically important
> inside the remnant (beta >> 1), so accuracy of the B field is probably not
> important there.  I should add that I'm doing these calculations in 2D
> cylindrical symmetry (R-Z).  Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Regards,
> Jon

> Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
> jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
> phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
> cell: (781) 363-0035             USA

*Ernesto Zurbriggen*

*Instituto de Astronomía Teórica y Experimental (IATE). *
*Observatorio Astronómico de Córdoba (OAC), **Universidad Nacional de
Córdoba **(UNC)**. *
*Teléfono: +54 0351 4331064-5, interno 222. *
*Córdoba, Argentina.*