[FLASH-USERS] Divergence of magnetic field

Lucas Rubio Fermoso l.rubiof at alumnos.upm.es
Tue Apr 24 05:43:49 EDT 2018

Dear all,

I am trying to run a 2D cylindrical simulation with a high uniform
initial magnetic field in the "Z" direction (~100 T), but I am getting
very high divergence values that cascade in other errors forward in the
simulation.

This divergence is generated at the cells in the block boundaries
perpendicular to the field, while being 0 everywhere else.

Divergence values are created at the first step and they evolve during
"nrefs" steps, after that the values get frozen for the rest of the
simulation.

For example: For "nrefs"=2 initial divergence is 0 everywhere,
divergence changes at steps 1, 2 and 3 and then keeps the same values of
step 3.

For "nrefs"=4 is the same but evolves up to step 5.

The problem seems related to how paramesh handles fluxes before it
starts refining.

I have tried to restart the simulation on the initial checkpoint so
paramesh redistributes blocks on start, but did not work.

Some parameters that may be important:
Grid is Paramesh4
Prolongation methods: injection and balsara, both used with little
difference (It should be used balsara since the simulation is
cylindrical)
Solver: Unsplit Staggered Mesh
killdivb = true
flux_correct = true
E_modification = true
energyfix = true

In simulation_initBlock magnetic field face values and magnetic field
cell values are declared with the same value.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
--
Lucas Rubio Fermoso