[FLASH-USERS] Coupling RHD with self-gravity

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 5 17:49:13 EDT 2018

On Thu, 5 Jul 2018, María Fernanda Clever Uribe wrote:

> I am trying to setup a problem that requires using RHD and self-gravity,
> and I have a problem while running the simulation.
>
> I am using 2D cartesian coordinates, and the multigrid solver which is
> specified in Config file:
>
> physics/Gravity/GravityMain/Poisson/Multigrid
>
> I compiled using the following line:
>
> ./setup JetGravity -auto -2d +noDefaultMpole +gravMgrid -maxblocks=2000
>
> The error message is:
>
> abort_message: gr_isoMpoleInit:  FATAL:  unsupported geometry!
>
> I do not understand why there is an error. Is it due to geometry, since the
> multigrid solver should solve gravity with this kind of geometry?

I think you will find that the problem comes from the combination of 2D
multigrid with an "isolated" gravity boundary condition.  Multigrid with
this boundary condition uses the auxiliary multipole solver in
Grid/GridSolvers/IsoBndMultipole to "compute the boundary values of the
image mass potential"; this is currently only supported in 3D Cartesian
geometry.

If you can use a different gravity boundary condition ("periodic", most
likely), that should work.